Tynemouth Manor House was a large detached building situated in its own grounds and within an area of land now occupied by the houses to the south west side of what is now called Manor Road (formerly known as Manor Terrace), and those to the north side of Huntington Place.
The grounds of the Manor House covered a triangular shape between Manor Terrace and the present railway line adjacent to Tynemouth station, with the main entrance gates facing south east towards Front Street on the opposite side of the road from Lorne House.
Very little information is available relating to the Manor House, its early origins or occupants and it is unclear why or when it was actually built.
The earliest record appears to be in Pigots Directory of 1834, when the occupant is listed as a George Weatherby. The house and grounds are also clearly marked out and shown on an 1857 Ordnance Survey map.
Between 1887 and 1902 the occupant is recorded as a Mr. Robert Muckle, a Land Agent to the Duke of Northumberland. By 1911 the directory listing had changed to show an R. F. Kidd (Solicitor), with the final occupant between 1920 and 1930 being an S. A. Morrison (Ship Owner).
The house eventually fell into a state of disrepair and by January 1932 proposals to demolish the building and develop the land had been submitted. A small parcel of land belonging to the North Eastern Railway Company was also incorporated within these plans.
Plans for housing were presented by J. R. Wallace on behalf of three local building contractors: W. Boner, A. Park and Hastie D. Burton, and when these houses were completed, they became Nos. 1 to 27 Manor Road and Nos. 16 to 24 Huntington Place.
A short section of the original stone wall of the manor house still remains and adjoins No. 24 Huntington Place, connecting to the north section frontage wall of Tynemouth railway station.
Whilst Huntington Place is mentioned here, it is interesting to note that the street name is spelled two ways. The original stone plaques incorporated into the terraced houses at each end of the street show ‘Huntington’ whilst newer nearby plaques show ‘Huntingdon’.
by Charlie Steel © 2012
Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, local historian Charlie Steel has lived almost all of his life in Monkseaton. His books “Monkseaton and Hillheads” and “Inns and Taverns of North Shields” are published by Tempus and are available in all good book shops.
All Charlie’s articles which are featured in Roundabout Monkseaton can also be found on his website www.monkseaton.info. Charlie also writes articles for Roundabout Tynemouth.
If you have any old pictures or photographs of Monkseaton that you would like to share then please e-mail Charlie at email@example.com.