Kennersdene was a small stream or burn which gave its name to nearby Kenners Dene Farm, on the site of the present junction of Kennersdene and Aldenham Gardens. Flowing from the farm site, following the path of the lower section of Beach Road, the outlet into the sea was more or less opposite the present Park Hotel. It has since been culverted. The origin of ‘Kenners’ is unconfirmed but may be from a local name.
King Edwards Bay was named in honour of King Edward VII, who came to the area in 1884 as the Prince of Wales when he opened the Albert-Edward Docks and visited Tynemouth. The nearby street name of King Edward Road, which was part of the royal procession route, was also named in his honour.
Leg of Mutton Allotments: A local name for the allotments on the east side of Earsdon Road, opposite Wellfield Estate. The name derives from the shape of the boundary field, resembling that of a leg of mutton.
Limekiln Shore is situated at Coble Dene, near the former Albert-Edward Dock, North Shields. Early civilisations discovered that heating limestone allowed it to be used as a building mortar. It also has a value in agriculture, particularly when the use of coal made it cheap to produce. Because land transportation of minerals like limestone and coal was difficult in the pre-industrial era, they were distributed by sea, and lime was most often manufactured at small coastal ports; the probability is that the name was derived from this.
Long Sands: Officially Tynemouth Long Sands, and stretching for a mile between Tynemouth and Cullercoats, the name is self-explanatory.
Marconi Point: Guglielmo Marconi (1874-1937) was Italian by birth and a pioneer in radio communications. Cullercoats Radio Station was built on a small headland in 1906, which adopted the name ‘Marconi Point’ to become the location of the Maritime Radio Station operated by British Telecom Aeronautical & Maritime Services under the call sign GCC. The site was the receiving and operations station, with transmitters operating remotely a short distance north at Old Hartley. A transmitter which fed to an antenna mounted on a 200 foot wooden mast was replaced in 1929. By 2000, the radio station was closed and the transmitter masts were demolished.
Marden: The area originally consisted of little more than a magnesium limestone quarry adjoined by the agricultural lands of nearby Marden Farm.
The quarry was leased for the quarrying of limestone in 1684 until the 19th century, when the limestone supply was exhausted. The deep quarry gradually flooded and was taken over by the water company to be used as a standby reservoir until 1975. The quarry then came under the control of the local council and was converted to become a nature reserve. The adjacent housing estates now built up as Marden Estate adopted their name from here.
by Charlie Steel © 2015
Further reading for many of Charlie’s articles can be found in his books: ‘Monkseaton Village’ (Vol. 1 & 2), North Shields Public Houses, Inns & Taverns’ (Part 1 & 2) and ‘Tynemouth Remembered’ all published by Summerhill Books.