Seaton Delaval was originally a small hamlet dating back to the time of the Norman Conquest. William the Conqueror allotted these lands to the De la Val family and they were first attested as ‘Seton de la Val’ in 1270. ‘Seaton’ is derived from Sea and Tun meaning a village, farmstead or hamlet near to the sea.
The De la Val family took their name from Le Val in Normandy, with their descendants still being major landholders in the area today. The main feature of the area is Seaton Delaval Hall – a fine stately home which is approached from the west by a mile-long road with an avenue of trees.
Seaton Sluice lies half a mile north of the village of Hartley. The area was originally called Hartley Pans because of the salt pans that existed from 1236 and which were used to make salt. The village eventually became known as Hartley Haven, and was used for the export of coal as well as salt. When alterations to the harbour were made in 1761, a cut was made through the solid rock of the old harbour with sluice gates at both ends, which trapped the seawater at each high tide. This area then became known as Seaton Sluice.
Seaton Terrace was once a small hamlet situated on the Shields and Morpeth Turnpike Road, one mile north of Holywell Village. It consisted of a row of neat and substantial two storey stone cottages, with two inns and three grocers’ shops. It has since been swallowed up within the confines of Seaton Delaval.
Seatonville Estate derives its name from Seatonville Farm, which stood nearby, and Seatonville is derived from Seaton Villa, the former name of Seatonville Farmhouse. The word ‘Seaton’ however has a wider definition evident in the name ‘Monkseaton’.
Seghill: Part of the Parish of Earsdon, and originally known as Syghall in 1198, the word derives from old English with a meaning of ‘Haugh on the Sige Stream’. It was later spelled as Sighill and Sedgehill and was a small hamlet which lay a short distance south-west of Seaton Delaval.
Sharpness Point is a small headland projecting into the North Sea at Tynemouth and is the only promontory in Northumberland with the suffix ‘ness’.
The word ‘ness’ is a geographical term (or suffix) for a promontory, cape or headland projecting into a body of water, and derives from the Old English ‘næs’ meaning headland. The prefix ‘sharp’ probably refers to the steep angle of the promontory.
Shiremoor is a derivative of Tynemouthshire Moor, which originally referred to the common of the manor of Tynemouth. As the local coal industry grew, the area first developed as a small village to house miners from the local pits. Shiremoor now comprises numerous estates, including the oldest two estates of Bertram Grange and Old Shiremoor plus the newer Park Estate. The adjoining area has since expanded to incorporate commercial businesses.
by Charlie Steel © 2016
Further reading for many of Charlie’s articles can be found in his books: ‘Monkseaton Village’ (Vol. 1 & 2), ‘North Shields Public Houses, Inns & Taverns’ (Part 1 & 2), ‘Tynemouth Remembered’ and ’Whitley Bay Remembered’ (Part 1) , all published by Summerhill Books.