Crawford Park comprises a total of 1.77 acres and sits in an inconspicuous sheltered area between Melbourne Crescent and Wembley Avenue with entrances situated on Seatonville Road and Crawford Place, Monkseaton.
When the surrounding streets were built up during the 1920s, the park was incorporated and laid out as a small recreational area comprising little more than small lawns, flower beds, two tennis courts and a bowling green.
The park was owned and maintained by the former Whitley and Monkseaton Urban District Council.
A pavilion which backed onto Melbourne Crescent was designed into the park to provide gardening stores and workspace for the park keeper, and incorporated toilets, changing rooms, shelter, and facilities for users of the bowling green and tennis courts.
The basic layout of the park has remained almost unchanged since it was built, and it is still in regular use, particularly by Whitley and Monkseaton Bowling Club where frequent seasonal tournaments and matches are held.
The park and neighbouring street (Crawford Place) was laid out on land which was formerly part of the lands of Monkseaton South West Farm, which in 1813 was under the principal ownership of a wealthy landowner, Ralph Crawford who was then described as being much respected for his integrity and agricultural knowledge.
Although unconfirmed, it would appear that Ralph Crawford may have loaned his name to the park and nearby street Crawford Place.
North Tyneside Council are now responsible for the day to day running and maintenance of the park.
by Charlie Steel © 2013
Local historian and writer Charlie Steel has lived in Monkseaton for most of his life.
His published books include ‘Monkseaton Village Vol. 1’, ‘Monkseaton Village Vol. 2’, ‘Monkseaton & Hillheads’ and ‘Inns and Taverns of North Shields’, all of which are available from most local booksellers.