This street runs in an easterly direction from the junction of Front Street and Roseberry Terrace, ending at the junction with Relton Terrace (formerly known as Brewery Lane or Turpin’s Lane).
Originally, most of the south side of Percy Terrace was taken up by the rear of Monkseaton Brewery and its stable blocks, where much of the old stonework is still evident, all of which at one time formed different parts of the brewery and outbuildings.
The houses and access paths of Nos. 1 to 7 Percy Terrace were laid out slightly above ground level, due to the elevation of the road, and stonework is clearly evident at the base of these buildings.
Old ordnance survey maps suggest that these houses were probably built during the 1880’s, however it is known that the end building on Percy Terrace, which for many years was a General Dealers shop, existed as far back as the early 1800s. During its lifetime it has been a Blacksmiths, a Grocers, and a Newsagency.
In 1904, the shop was run as a grocery store by a Christopher and Margaret Scott, who lived next door. The shop was probably once one of the main provision outlets in Monkseaton Village, and it traded under the name of ‘Scott and Robson’. As well as selling general foodstuffs and provisions they also sold a large selection of local farm produce.
In 1926, Scott and Robson ceased trading and the premises were sold to a Mr George Haimes, who took over the business to include confectionery and newspapers.
In 1960, the business came into the hands of A. MacBride, and later to a Mr George Parnaby when it was run as a General Dealers and Newsagency, before its eventual closure and conversion to a dwelling house in 2004.
by Charlie Steel © 2012
Local historian and writer Charlie Steel has lived in Monkseaton for most of his life.
His published books include; ‘Monkseaton Village Vol. 1’, ‘Monkseaton & Hillheads’ and ‘Inns and Taverns of North Shields’ all of which are available from most local booksellers.