In years gone by, to reach this farm from the village, it was necessary to turn left off Monkseaton Front Street at Monkseaton Brewery and travel for approximately a quarter of a mile along Turpins Lane (Relton Terrace), onto a field path (which later formed the route of Deneholm), passing the area which is now occupied by Whitley Bay High School, before reaching the farmhouse on the opposite side of Monkseaton Drive (bearing in mind this section of Monkseaton Drive was non-existent then).
The farmlands, which were recorded as measuring between 117 and 125 acres in extent, stood slightly northwest of the village and now accommodate part of Beaumont Park Housing Estate, Whitley Bay High School and the adjacent allotment gardens behind Deneholm and Alder Grove.
The actual farmhouse and stack yard were situated at what is now the rear of Southridge First School, between the end of Earnshaw Way and Chevington Grove.
(Despite what may be otherwise suggested by the name, the nearby Red House Farm housing estate was actually built completely within the adjoining lands of neighbouring North West Farm, and is completely separate and not connected with any of the original lands of Red House Farm).
The earliest records go back to 1687, when the farm was surrendered by the owners to a John Clark of North Shields. It subsequently passed through the hands of numerous owners and tenants.
In 1763, the representatives of Jonathan Hyndmer sold the farm to an Anthony Pearson of North Shields, which eventually passed under his will to William Linskill of Tynemouth House.
From 1897 the Dunns were the tenants and became a very prominent and well respected farming family in the area. Along with the related Nicholson family, their name features frequently with periodic tenancies of many of the other farms in Monkseaton Village.
Much of the farmland belonging to Monkseaton Red House eventually disappeared under the housing development of the 1960s and 1970s.
by Charlie Steel © 2011
Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, local historian Charlie Steel has lived almost all of his life in Monkseaton. His books “Monkseaton and Hillheads” and “Inns and Taverns of North Shields” are published by Tempus and are available in all good book shops.
All Charlie’s articles which are featured in Roundabout Monkseaton can also be found on his website www.monkseaton.info. Charlie also writes articles for Roundabout Tynemouth.
If you have any old pictures or photographs of Monkseaton that you would like to share then please e-mail Charlie at firstname.lastname@example.org.